Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"You know I never could say anything in 20 words or less."

I just realized that I still don't have a title for this thing. I hate titling; it's always the very last thing I do for papers. I think it's because I have issues summarizing. I feel like I'm belittling whatever it might be - a paper, a blog, or the name of my iPod - with a few measly words. Maybe I'm too wordy, or have too much to say, or a combination of both. I just titled this entry with a rather apt title. I should just start titling everything with that. Johnette Napolitano wouldn't mind too much.

--------

I watched Dead Poets Society for the first time the other night. Why did I just recently get around to watching it? "Set in 1959 at a conservative and aristocratic boys prep school, it tells the story of an English teacher who inspires his students to change their lives of conformity through his teaching of poetry and literature. The movie is a modern interpretation of the transcendentalist movement." This IS my life more or less. It's one of many reasons why I read; it's one of many reasons why I want to teach. I know it's just a movie, but things like this give me hope. Hope that maybe most people are better than I give them credit for (that's a topic for a whole other entry. I love people, no really, but I have a much harder time liking them, broadly speaking of course. When we get something right, we truly get it right; when we get something wrong, we can really fuck it up. But like I said, that deserves its own entry). And the movie's Transcendentalist motifs were amazing. I don't think I've heard Thoreau and Whitman quoted and talked about so much, save for in an English class.

1 comment:

  1. I love titling things. Sometimes I'm inspired to write a poem because an awesome title just pops into my head.

    Dead Poets Society is an awesome movie. I think we asked to watch it just about every day in English, but the teacher never let us. :(

    ReplyDelete